Wednesday, January 9, 2013

1/9/13 pre-recipe share

So, I want to share about the dinner I made the other day.

But, before I share the recipe, I need to share the prep part.

See, I make my own sausages now.  Have been doing that for a while.  They just taste so much better.  Well, the first time I made jambalaya, the recipe I used called for sausages, cut up.  So, I did.  The second time I made it, I was either right out, or nearly out of the sausages I made.  And it occurred to me, that it seemed like a shame to go to all that trouble to make sausages, use the casings, just to turn around and cut them up - especially when I knew how to mix up the meat mixture anyway, and could simply eliminate the extra step of stuffing the sausage.

So, that is what I did.  I took my ground pork, and I seasoned it the way I would if I were going to make sausages - basil, crushed chilies, fresh course ground pepper, crushed garlic, parsley - then I made little meatballs.  Like, very little - maybe an inch in diameter.  I placed these on a cookie sheet, and baked them till done.  I really don't like meatballs that are half burned, or torn up because they stuck to the pan, etc.

Anyway, that is what I did, then I mixed them into my jambalaya.  Perfect!!

So, the other day, the recipe I wanted to try making also called for sausages.  Well, I had some premixed ground pork from making my spaghetti and meatballs, so that is what I used - not quite spiced the same, and did have the egg and oats I use when making burger shapes or  meatloaf shapes, but they still worked in the new recipe.

Well - that is the prep for tomorrow's recipe share.  :)  If you want to use premade sausages, that is fine.  But if you want to make the mini meatball sausage substitutes, they work great :)

No comments:

Post a Comment