Sunday, January 6, 2013

1/6/13 Roasted Chicken

Yesterday's supper turned into a "grab a sandwich or something" kind of meal.  Nothing at all special...  Plumbing repairs, even simple ones, seem to take a lot out of you...;)

BUT - today, being Sunday (wondering - does anyone do "Sunday Roast" anymore?)  I thought I'd do a whole chicken.  We haven't had chicken for a while.

It isn't a very big one - there are only two of us to eat it, after all.  So it won't get stuffed.  But it will get seasoned!  I'll be making mashed potatoes to go with, and probably carrots.  I have enough of them in the freezer!!  Usually, I do corn with chicken parts.  But I like to do peas or carrots with roasted.  And of course, there will be gravy, and some "no-name" stove top stuffing.  One of the few "convenience" things I still do.  Not that I don't love home made stuffing, or make it with a larger bird.  Just that, when there is barely room for two pieces of bread inside the little bird, well...

So - Not sure if I really could call this a recipe, but, here goes:

Whole chicken
small onion
seasonings to taste
butter.

Rinse the bird, make sure there are no "extras" inside (packet of gizzards, etc.)  Take a small onion, cut top and root ends off, peel off dry skins.  Score the onion on the two cut ends.  Sprinkle with oregano, sage, and/or poultry seasoning as desired.  Place in the cavity of the chicken.  Place bird in roasting pan, breast up.  Melt a small amount of butter (around 1/4 cup) and drizzle over breast, then legs of bird.  OR, you may dot the breast and legs with unmelted butter if you prefer.  Season the skin of the bird if you wish - using pepper and/or whatever herbs and spices appeal to you.  The one thing I avoid using is salt.  Not because I am not eating salt - I use it at the table - but because I've learned over the years that salt will dry out your meat if you use it to season while cooking.

I will now add, if I have it, about a half cup of chicken broth.  If not, I will use about a quarter cup of water. Cover, and roast in a 350 oven until done - the timing will depend on the size of the chicken - the ones I do usually take about 2 hours.  Sometimes, I find that I need to remove the cover about 15 minutes to half an hour before the chicken is expected to be done to crisp up the skin - but that is very rare.

Toward the end of the cooking time, peel and boil potatoes.  Cook side vegetable (either fresh or frozen or whatever you desire).  When the chicken is done, remove from oven, turn off the oven,  take the bird out of the roasting pan, and place on a serving dish/plate/cookie sheet/whatever, and return to the oven to keep warm.  Now, add some liquid (water or more broth) to the roasting pan, place on the stove top, and bring to a boil.  Mix a small amount of flour with some cold water until smooth and "pourable".  Pour into the hot liquid in the pan, stirring while adding.  Continue stirring until thickened.  Reduce heat, simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently.  Mash the potatoes, drain the vegetables, and serve!

OK, not a great "recipe" because some of the stuff isn't listed out or measured out, but this is one of those things that I've been making for so long, that I just don't measure anymore!! And the seasoning - as much done based on what I have in the cupboard or ran out of as to suit the mood I'm in - sometimes I might make it with a Mexican flare, adding some spiciness, other times I go with a more Italian based herb palette. Just depends on my mood...

No comments:

Post a Comment