Wednesday, January 2, 2013

1/2/13 random thought and last night's supper

I am trying to remember just how many years ago I stopped drinking coffee...

I never liked the taste of coffee.  I started drinking it because "that is what people do".  Over the years, I would switch it up - instead of coffee in the morning, I'd have tea. But I'd still drink the odd cup now and again.  Finally, one day, I *think* around five or six years ago, it occurred to me, that I was being silly - drinking coffee that I didn't even like "just because it is what people do".  So, I stopped.

Now, interestingly, I do like espresso.  So, I am indulging in that now and again...

I'm still deciding where the flavoured coffees fit in - haven't had any, but didn't mind the odd one of those in the past...

Last night - DH (Dear Husband) suggested, or is it requested? spaghetti and meatballs.

So, that is what I made.  Mixed up the ground pork, pulled out the pasta maker.  It was good :)  No picutes, though.  Maybe another time...    

Recipe:  (sorry, I'm not sure what to do if you don't have a pasta maker - I suppose, you *could* roll out the dough with a rolling pin, and cut with a knife...)
Pasta -
2 1/4 cups flour
3/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp oil (I use olive)
1 tbsp warm water
3 eggs.

Put dry ingredients into bowl, make well.  Add oil, water, and eggs into the well.  Mix with a fork, then with hands, until forms a ball.  Cover, let rest ten minutes.  Knead for about ten minutes, until smooth and no longer sticky. (sprinkle with flour as needed).  Let rest 30 minutes.  Cut into 8 pieces, roll each out in pasta maker to desired thickness (Mine goes 1-widest to 9, I go to 7).  Cut with cutting rollers (I use the wider linguine one).  Cook in boiling water till done.

Meatballs:
1 and 1/2 to 2 pounds ground pork.*
1 egg
1/2 to 1 cup rolled oats
seasoning to taste - I used 4 cloves garlic, chopped fine then pressed through garlic press, fresh ground pepper, 1 packet dry onion soup mix, 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce this time.  It varies.

Mix all ingredients well.  I only used about half of this mix for supper.  Break off small pieces of meat mixture, roll into uniform meatballs.  Place on a cookie sheet. Bake at 350F for 30 to 45 minutes, until done. (time will depend on your oven and desired level of doneness, plus number and size of meatballs.)

While pasta is cooking, heat 1 can Hunts Original Thick N Quick sauce in pot over medium high.  When it starts to boil, add cooked meatballs. (if meatballs have cooled, then continue heating sauce with meatballs to warm them up again) Stir together and serve.

*- I buy my ground pork from Superstore, and it comes in this sized package - roughly one and a half to two pounds, or around 780 grams give or take.

No comments:

Post a Comment