Thursday, January 17, 2013

1/17/13 You can never go home....

I had heard that a restaurant in a downtown department store was closing.  I knew the store itself had been sold, and I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised.  I just hadn't really given it any though. Yet, when I heard the announcement that the restaurant was going to close, I decided I wanted to go.  So, I contacted my new friend, A., and asked her if she'd like to go with me.

Well, it was a disappointment.  I shouldn't really complain, since I'm just as guilty of not going to the store or restaurant in many years.  But, there had been some renovations since the last time I was there; nothing major, but took some of the charm away.  And I was shocked, as we took the escalator to the top floor, that several of the floors were drastically reduced in size and scope, and one floor was completely closed off!!  Oh, the times I recall getting off the escalator to browse in the book department...

Anyway, we went in, picked up our trays to select some food (cafeteria style) --- there was nearly nothing there.  The sign indicated your soup could come in a cup, bowl, or big bowl - they only had the smaller bowls.  Another section - the salad bar - had horribly thin pickings.  The sandwich bar (one of the few places I ever found sandwiches that I liked) was totally closed/empty/darkened.... The "burger bar" was only serving fries and gravy.  No burgers.  The hot meal section - the sign apologized that there was no roast beef, no turkey today.  The gentleman in front of me requested shepherd's pie - sorry, didn't have any - only sausages.  I had rice and beans with mine.... the other options were carrots, mashed potatoes, gravy, and some sort of fried square potatoes - maybe they were meant to be "roasted", but they looked like little hash brown cubes.  Dessert  - I had been looking forward to maybe finding some jello squares with whipped cream on top - another treat I remember only really liking served that way - but all they had were some slices of apple pie (quite thin - not the slice/portion size, but the pie - I wouldn't have expected a "deep dish" apple pie, but certainly more than a half inch deep) and a small assortment of four small "slices" - you know, like a marshmallow slice, a brownie, two others that didn't appeal to my taste...

I am still not quite comfortable taking pictures of my food.  In fairness I will say that the sausages were good - probably the first time in about 4 years that I have eaten other than home made sausages.  And the rice wasn't dry, but could have had a bit more flavour.  And the beans were cooked.  I also had a bun - or was it a biscuit?  To me, a biscuit should be about half the size of this thing.  It was about the size of a hamburger bun around, and what the pie lacked in height, this more than made up for!  (no, I didn't bother getting a dessert there).  Anyway, the bun had a melted cheese crust on top, and what I believe to be spinach inside.  It was rather dry - which is why the word "biscuit" probably is better to describe it.

The restaurant itself - the renovations took their toll.  It just isn't the same as it was.... I did take pictures.  I'll upload them tomorrow, and tell more about the atmosphere...

No comments:

Post a Comment