Thursday, January 10, 2013

1/10/13 Adapted a recipe.

If you read yesterday's post, then you'll know that when I use the term 'sausage' in the recipe below, I use my home made type.  :)

This was another of those, ''I really want to try it, but don't know if DH will eat it'' recipes.  He took leftovers for lunch the next day....

This all started, really, about 13 years ago (probably close to the day - it was the first full week in January) when we went to the Dominican Republic for a week.  The resort we stayed at one day served what they called ''Lazy Bones Stew''.  I did my best to remember what all was in it, what it was like and so on, but hey, it *has* been 13 years!!  Anyway, what I still recall, was that it had tomatoes and was a clear tomato liquid base (think canned tomatoes, not a creamed soup or juice) and there were likely some other vegetables, too, but it was heavy on the ''bones'' - two inch long pieces of okra.  I loved it!!! It was so good....

I had, once, planted okra in my garden.  I had a half dozen plants, and they produced, but sporadic, and honestly at the time, I didn't quite know what I was going to do with them anyway, nor was I sure how big they were going to grow... That had been before the trip.

Just last spring, I again saw okra seedlings when we went plant and seed shopping.  I bought two, to see if the ground here would still allow them to grow - sort of test subjects.  The okra did well (enough), I got two off it, but unfortunately, they shriveled up in the fridge before I could decide what to do with them.

Superstore had okra in their flyer in the fall -- but the shipment never arrived... Finally, I found some frozen okra.  And started my hunt for gumbo recipes.

What follows is an adaptation of a recipe I found, originating from Canadian Living.  I don`t always like CL`s recipes, but this time, I did use most of what they said, adding my own touches as I went along. :)

Gumbo
half to one pound sausages, cut into bite size pieces, or small meatballs
two chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
2 tbsp corn oil
3 tbsp flour
1/4 red onion, chopped (leftover from another dinner)
1 small cooking onion, chopped  (I would go with all red onion, if I had a whole one)
1/4 to 1/2 cup celery, sliced
1 small red or orange sweet pepper, chopped
3 cloves garlic
2 heaping tsp Cajun spice
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/8 to 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (I was afraid the Cajun spice didn't have enough 'kick', so I added the cayenne)
1 cup water
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 small package frozen okra, thawed, then chopped into 1 inch pieces
1/2 to 1 pound shrimp
Rice.


First, cook the meatballs and brown the chicken pieces, seasoning to taste.  Cook rice according to directions. In large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat and mix in flour, browning the flour to make a roux.  Add onions, pepper, celery, and garlic, stirring until sauteed, about four minutes.  Add spices, heat, stirring, for an additional three minutes.  Add water, broth, sausage, and chicken.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for five minutes to thicken slightly.  Add okra, simmer another 5 minutes.  Stir in shrimp, and additional broth if too thick, and return to simmering until the shrimp is cooked - an additional three to five minutes.  Serve with rice.

Well, there it is.  I did learn one thing - my sister mentioned while we were at lunch the other day that she has seen file powder for sale in the city.  So, next time, I might just use some of that, too :)

No comments:

Post a Comment